I’ll be posting sometime, hopefully soon, about my attempts to turn myself into a morning person (which is all the more difficult with a husband who is definitely a night owl), but my favourite thing about my time in the morning is getting in a workout. Since I don’t quite have the morning routine down yet, I try not to plan my workouts the night before in case I don’t quite get up in time. Nothing worse than having a 30 minute workout planned and only having time for a 10 minute stretch and foam roll. But that means often making workouts out as I go along, hopefully coming up with the next move before the last rep of the last one. I haven’t been hugely creative with my workouts for this reason, generally sticking to tabata styles (20 seconds of one activity, 10 seconds rest, in intervals of 4) as they are easy to fit into whatever time you have. But my favourite exercises?
1. Deadlifts (though I use hand weights). I was once told I had an imbalance in my legs, with too much emphasis on my quads, so deadlifts are a great way to work hamstrings… and butt… and abs.
2. Surfer get-ups or burpees, but never the one I’m doing. Both target multiple muscles in the body, and both involve moving from lying down to standing. I like to alternate the two because I like both, but also quickly get bored of both. Like 5 reps in
3. Arnold press. I find shoulder muscles the most fun to watch as I move my arms so the Arnold press is a favourite. Anterior delts? Lateral delts? And triceps? Yes please.
4. Spiderman Plank. I think it’s just the name that I like. Core always used to be my favourite and has quickly moved down the list to the bottom, but this targets shoulders, core, and hips to a degree, too.
5. Bear Crawl. This exercise just feels like fun, and being a kid. And I’m all about anything that makes me feel like a kid again.