We’ve all been sick this week so it’s been tough getting into the Christmas spirit. But as of today, we are on Christmas Break (oh how I love working for a university!) and so I’m snuggling my littlest girl and while I know the house NEEDS to be cleaned before I can enjoy the festive season, I’m starting to feel the peace that adults seem to seek at this time of year.
Scott is on my case a bit this year about being too adherent to Christmas traditions (“but do you need to do them every year?” Yes, because that’s what a tradition is!) so I thought I’d list my five favourite Christmas traditions
- Christmas music ad nauseum. In the car. At work. At home. There is such a breadth and depth of this genre (since it encompasses all genres), I never tire of it.
- Bailey’s in my hot chocolate. Disaronno in my Coke. I miss Regina for it’s ready availability of mead at the holidays but these two alternatives work well for me.
- Butter tarts. It’s not Christmas without them, and even better is when Scott makes them for me.
- Playing Christmas carols on piano. Sounds like #1 but it’s different listening to something and playing something.
- Christmas movies. Oh the number of them keeps growing so we have to start watching them earlier and earlier but it’s a fun treat to let the kids watch full movies. You know, for the first 5 minutes until they realize they don’t have the attention span.